Thursday, January 9, 2014

LitLove: A new monthly series bout books!

Hi everyone!

So, as part of my resolution to begin posting more regularly on here (and to read many more books), I've developed a series of posts that run on either a monthly or weekly(ish) basis. The first one I'm introducing is called 'LitLove' (working title), which is pretty much my private cyber book club (cyber? Does anyone use that word anymore? All I can think is Johnny Mnemonic or Hackers when I say it. And now I have a strong desire to go rollerblading in Shadowrun-inspired clothing. Ooh! Fashion inspiration!).

I'll do a monthly post on the book I'm reading, and give my first impressions, why I chose the book, etc.

To start off the new year, I chose this really interesting thriller that I found through a random catalog search at a local library:

The One I Left Behind (by Jennifer McMahon).



















The basic story: The main character, Reggie, has grown up to be a very successful architect, despite her past: when she was just 13 years old, her mother was kidnapped by a serial killer and presumed dead, her body having never been recovered. But 25 years later, she gets the call that her mother was found. Alive.

The format is perfect: It switches back and forth between present-day Reggie encountering her mother after 25 years, and the summer of 1985, when it all went to hell. McMahon keeps the suspense going, even though you know what is going to eventually happen to Reggie's mother. And there are so many more layers to her and her friends, and it's just...delicious. I can't wait to finish it, and I already know I'll be reading more of her books in the near future.

If you want, find and friend me on Goodreads here! Let's secretly add each other's books to our own queues without ever speaking to each other. ;)

~A~

No comments:

Post a Comment