Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thanksgiving Plans


This is my first year inviting the family to the city for the Holidays, and I'm excited to get the apartment ready for their arrival. Aside from making sure I have enough sleeping space for four adults and three children, I really look forward to the preparation and presentation of the big dinner. My menu plans:

Main Course:
1) Turkey or Cornish Hen (still deciding...)
2) Kale--in place of Collard Greens
3) Macaroni and Cheese
4) This twice-baked potato recipe!
5) Baked Beans with jalapeƱo, bacon/onion (courtesy of the new beau--great way to introduce to the parents, right? Appeal to their taste buds. Score.)

Dessert:
1)Strawberry Cheesecake, or Caramel Apple Cheesecake!
2)Who am I kidding? I'm making both cheesecakes. =P

And of course, the normal appetizers: Olives, pickles, cheese, veggies, cheese, olives and pickles. And cheese.

It's a rather small group (only 7 of us total), so quantities of food don't have to be too large--which is great, because my kitchen is tiny. I'm not sure how much I will be asking of my parents to cook. I just want to make sure I get my dad's Sweet Potato Pie and my mom's Dressing.

Most importantly, this is about starting new traditions for myself. I'm looking into a signature Thanksgiving cocktail, and maybe making the Cornish Hens and Kale an 'Alyce-style' Thanksgiving dinner. And to extend that, I want to do something similar for breakfast, like herb and cheese scrambled eggs to accompany the leftover ham/hen/turkey from the night before.

And then there's the table decorations...so many ideas (Note to self: DON'T TRY TO KNIT OR CROCHET PLACEMATS! YOU HAVE NO TIME WITH THE STORE OPENING SO SOON. NO, SERIOUSLY, ALYCE. DON'T.)


But I'll get to decorations in my next post. Here are a few of my inspirations:

Orange Napkins? A definite must. I like the leaf place cards, too!

Nice and simple. I would love to find acorns/pine cones for a similar feel. I enjoy the plaid chair backings and rice lanterns too.

I am a HUGE fan of circular place mats. Another table setting must for me. 

This weekend will involve lots of shopping to prepare! I can't wait!

~A~

No comments:

Post a Comment