Friday, November 4, 2011

Projects and Costumes! (Pic Heavy)






Hey there Blog Lurkers...

So, Halloween was last weekend, and I must confess:

**It's my favorite Holiday.**

Seriously, I am considering making it a regular thing to take off the Friday before the parties start and the Monday after. I get a little excited about costumes. Wanna see pics? I had TWO this year:

First up: Poison Ivy.


I got a green strapless bodysuit from American Apparel. It's actually super cute to wear with jeans and a blazer. :) I used felt to cut out giant leaves to make the skirt, yarn for the vines, and then more felt with sticky backing for the leaves I placed all over my body. It was tons of fun to do, and I try to make my costumes as tactile as possible (It would have been much easier to paint the vines on, but I liked the effect of having to move with this all over me).

And then Saturday: Leeloo, from 'Fifth Element'

I used orange leggings to make the suspenders, and sewed black thread on the front of my leggings for more specific 'movie' detail. I actually have the wig for this, but there's no way I can get that thing over these twists.

If you don't know who Leeloo is, you missed out on a great movie. Go get it. Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich, Chris Tucker, that big black cock-eyed guy that goes by Tiny, and my fave: Gary Oldman. I have a huge crush on him. Not gonna lie. Milla, too.

This year definitely cemented the idea of Cosplay for me. I seriously enjoy working on costumes, and would love to go to a place where they would be more appreciated, you know?

So, nerd moment over. On to the knitting.

I am SO CLOSE to finishing a gift for my good friend, and although I'm a tiny bit apprehensive about posting it on here, I'm pretty sure she won't see this. And if she does, well... she'll be getting it soon anyway.

Here's what I made:

It's a Kindle Cozy! She's an avid reader, and takes that thing everywhere she goes. And while she does have a case for it, it's nowhere near as cool as this. Let's be honest here. And I added a nifty lining! See?
Gives her something to look at when she's pulling her Kindle out. It clashes in the most AMAZING way.

The only thing left to do is add buttons to it. This, actually, is the most difficult part, because I want the buttons to really stand out, but also go well with both the lining and yarn. So, I'm still deciding on this. Super easy to do by the way, a very repetitive pattern that should click for you once you realize what's happening with the holes. You can find it on the Ravelry website if you're a member, under 'Kindle Cozy'. IF you're not a member, BE ONE! Free to join, and literally THOUSANDS of patterns for every level. This is where I get all of my inspiration! And if you do join, friend me! I'm Ahayes393.

All right, that's it for now. I took time off from the Knuck-warmers (like the name?) to make my costumes and my friend's gift, so I will be getting back to those as well as my red muff/neckwarmer pretty soon.

However, I am also committed to NaNoWriMo this month as well. If you don't know what that is, it's National Novel Writing Month, and the challenge is to write a novel in 30 days! 50,000 words is the word count goal. It's pretty awesome, and there's quite a community surrounding it. Feel free to check out my other blog on updates on that part of my life!!

Until next time, keep those needles clicking. ;)

~Pusher. Of. Pens.~



No comments:

Post a Comment